About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ) is the official Journal of the Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA) and is devoted to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge pertaining to the broad field of medicine in Ethiopia and other developing countries. EMJ is open access, double-blind peer-reviewed medical journal publishing scientifically valued and influential research outputs in the area of clinical medicine, conventional modern medicine, biomedical research, Preventive Medicine, traditional medicine, and other related researches in the broad area of Medicine. Prospective contributors to the Journal should takeÂ note of the instructions of Manuscript preparation and submission to EMJ as outlined below.Â
Peer Review Process
The procedures for manuscript review include:
- Within one week of receipt of a manuscript, the Editorial Board will review it in reference to (i) conformity with the Journal's "guidelines to authors (revised version available in all issues starting February 2016)", (ii) relevance of the article to the objectives of the EMJ, (iii) clarity of presentation, and (iv) plagiarism by using appropriate software
- The Editorial Board has three options: accept manuscripts for external review, return it to author for revision, or reject it.Â A manuscript not accepted by a board member is blindly reviewed by another board member.Â If not accepted by both, the manuscript is rejected by the Editorial Board. Decision will be made by the suggestion of a third Editorial Board member if the decisions of first two do not concur.
- Once accepted for external review, the Editorial Board identifies one (for brief communicaÂtion, case reports, and teaching articles) or two (for original articles) reviewers with appropriate expertise. The reviewers will be asked to review and return manuscripts with their comments online within two weeks of their receipt. Reviewers have four options; accept, accept with major revision, accept with minor revision, or reject.
- A Manuscript accepted subject revision as suggested by reviewers will be returned to the corresponding author. Author(s) will be given four weeks to respond to reviewers' comments, make necessary changes, and return the manuscript to the Editorial Board. A Manuscript not returned in time will be considered withdrawn by the author(s).Â
- Manuscripts with minor revisions will be cleared by the Editorial and accepted for publication. Those with major revisions will be returned to external reviewers and follow the procedures as outlined for the initial review.
This journal will be published quarterly....
Ethiopiaâ€™s oldest medical journal, The Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ) is the official organ of the Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA). The journal first appeared under the title of both Amharic â€œá‹¨áŠ¢á‰µá‹®áŒµá‹« áˆ•áŠáˆáŠ“ áŒ‹á‹œáŒ£â€ and English â€œEthiopian Medical Journalâ€ on July 1962. Since then, the quarterly journal played an important role to record the progress of scientific medicine, and to assist in rendering the practice of medicine in all its branches and in the academic of medicine in Ethiopia and Africa at large.
The cover page was yellow color with a white logo of Ethiopian Medical Association in between the Amharic and English titles. Volume 1, No. 2 published October 1962, appeared in the same title but with little change in the Amharic title "á‹¨áŠ¢á‰µá‹®áŒµá‹« áˆ•áŠáˆáŠ“ áŒ‹á‹œáŒ£â€œ (áŒ‹á‹œáŒ£ replaced by á‹œáŠ“â€œ). The color of the cover pages changed to red in the second volume and green in the third volume, but with no change in the appearance of the title and logo. The color changes in cover pages continued in the same order as above until the sixth volume. At the beginning some of the volumes had five issues while others had four. The journal started on July 1962 and the first volume had five issues to end on July 1963. Volumes 2, 3, 4 and 5 run from October to July, 1963-64, 1964-65, 1965-66 and 1966-67, respectively, with four issues each.
In Volume 6, No 1, the Amharic title â€œá‹¨áŠ¢á‰µá‹®áŒµá‹« áˆ•áŠáˆáŠ“ á‹œáŠ“â€Â was removed, the English title has been lifted to the top right end, the color was green with a white logo of Ethiopian Medical Association moved to the bottom left and contents of articles were written on the cover page. Improvement in the design, layout and general presentation introduced then continued in the successive years until the 5th decade which appeared in larger format with A4 size paper . Summaries (abstracts) of original articles were printed in both English and French from the beginning until Volume 14, No 1; 1976, since when, the French was no more in use.
The objectives of EMJ are:
Disseminating timely and relevant medical information in Ethiopia that play important roles in policy issues and other scientific developments. The promotion of preventive and curative medicine in modern sense based upon a dynamic medical science writing.Â