Complicated pregnancy in a Neuromyelitis Optica patient at St Paul Hospital Millennium Medical College, Ethiopia: A case report
Copyright (c) 2022 Ethiopian Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Neuromyelitis optica (NMO) is an autoimmune mediated demyelinating inflammatory disease that mainly affects the optic nerves and spinal cord. NMO usually occurs in women of reproductive age. NMO and pregnancy have complex relationships with several diagnostic and therapeutic implications. In this report, the first Ethiopian case of NMO in a 28years old woman who presented from rural part of the country mainly with progressive weakness of all extremities and history of complicated pregnancy was described highlighting the diagnostic and therapeutic challenges as well as residual morbidity of NMO in resource limited setups.
- Argyriou AA, Makris N. Neuromyelitis optica: a distinct demyelinating disease of the central nervous system.Acta Neurol
- Scand 2008: 118: 209–217.
- Yujuan J, James PF, Vanda AL, Sarah MJ, Amy LQ, Carin TM, Andrew W, Chiara C, Raffael L, Brain GW, Dean MW, Elzabeth
- Claudia FL, Sean JP.(2013 ). Updated estimate of AQP4-IG serostatus and disability outcome in neuromyelitis optica.
- American Academy of Neurology 2013; 81(14).
- Wingerchuk DM, Lennon VA, Lucchinetti CF, Pittock SJ, Weinshenker BG. The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica. Lancet
- Neurol 2007; 6(9): 805–15. Nour MM, Nakashima I, Coutinho E, Woodhall M, Sousa F, Revis J, Takai Y, George J, Kitley J,
- Santos ME, Nour JM, Cheng F, Kuroda H, Misu T, da-Silva AM, DeLuca GC, Vincent A, Palace J, Waters P, Fujihara K, Leite
- MI. Pregnancy outcomes in aquaporin-4–positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder. Neurology. 2016; 5, 86(1): 79–
- Chia WC, Wang JN, Lai MC. Neuromyelitis Optica: A Case Report. Pediatr Neonatol 2010; 51(6):347−352.
- Sellner J, Boggild M, Clanet M, Hintzen RQ, Illes Z, Montalban X, Du Pasquier RA, Polman CH, Sorensen PS, Hemmer B. 6.
- EFNS guidelines on diagnosis and management of neuromyelitis optica. European Journal of Neurology 2010, 17: 1019–
- Flanagan EP, Weinshenker BG, Krecke KN, Pittock SJ. Asymptomatic myelitis in neuromyelitis optica and autoimmune
- aquaporin-4 channelopathy. Neurol Clin Pract. 2015; 5(2):175-177.
- Billi A, Gonçalves F, Bichuetti DB, de Oliveira EML. Recurrent Optic Neuritis as the Initial Symptom in Demyelinating
- Diseases. J Clin Neurol 2018; 14(3):351-358.
- Shosha E, Pittock SJ, Flanagan E, Weinshenker BG. Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders and pregnancy: Interactions
- and management. Multiple Sclerosis Journal 2017, Vol. 23(14) 1808–1817.
- Saadoun S, Waters P, Leite MI, Bennett JL, Angela Vincent A, Papadopoulos MC. Neuromyelitis Optica IgG Causes
- Placental Inflammation and Fetal Death. J Immunol 2013; 191:2999-3005.
- Keegan M, Pineda AA, McClelland RL, Darby CH, Rodriguez M, Weinshenker BG. Plasma exchange for severe attacks of
- CNS demyelination: Predictors of response. Neurology 2002; 58: 143–146.